NIH STRIDES Initiative
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Science and Technology Research Infrastructure for Discovery, Experimentation, and Sustainability (STRIDES) Initiative is designed to enhance biomedical discovery and improve efficiency through new digital data management strategies that contribute to NIH efforts to develop and sustain a modern biomedical data ecosystem.
Through the STRIDES initiative, NIH and NIH-funded institutions have access to discounts on AWS services such as storage and compute, subsidized AWS training and AWS Enterprise Support, as well as over 12 petabytes of diversified biomedical and life sciences data sets.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Science and Technology Research Infrastructure for Discovery, Experimentation, and Sustainability (STRIDES) Initiative aims to modernize the biomedical research ecosystem by fostering innovation in biomedical research using technological advancements in the cloud. NIH-funded biomedical researchers are eligible to leverage the NIH STRIDES Initiative to access cutting-edge cloud services and tools, which includes access to valuable datasets and favorable pricing on cloud environments. Review the recorded seminar where we had three separate presentations from representatives from the NIH, AWS, and Four Points Technology, LLC.
Benefits of STRIDES
Discounts on AWS cloud compute and capacity
Subsidized AWS Training
Dedicated Solution Architects
What can you accomplish using AWS for your research in the cloud?
Working with labs and institutions around the world, AWS helps scientists and researchers process complex workloads by providing cost-effective, scalable, and secure compute, storage, and database capabilities to accelerate biomedical advances. To learn more, click here
What support is available from AWS, to include training and professional services?
As a member of the STRIDES Initiative, AWS offers the highest level of support called Enterprise Support. AWS Enterprise Support provides 24x7 access to engineers, tools, and technology to help you manage the health of your environment. Additionally, you will receive consultative architectural guidance delivered in the context of your applications and use cases. Access to free and discounted specialized AWS training and AWS Professional Services is also available.
What discounts are available from AWS?
Significant discounts are available to members of the STRIDES Initiative across all AWS services, including access to specially negotiated service discounts, volume discounts and other cost savings plans like reserved instances.
How to Join STRIDES:
The NIH STRIDES Initiative is open to all NIH funded organizations and institutions. Please refer to the NIH RePORTER tool to determine if your institution is STRIDES eligible. For help, please complete the ‘Contact Us’ section below.
Key Steps to Onboard Your NIH Funded Research Project Under STRIDES:
1. Establish a customer/supplier relationship between your organization and Four Points
2. Determine if a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) is required
3. Determine Funding Source (this may vary project by project)
4. Onboard and account creation/transfer
NIH STRIDES Initiative Highlights
The National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) announced the creation of the Coronavirus Genome Sequence Dataset to support COVID-19 research. The dataset is hosted by the AWS Public Dataset Program and accessible on the Registry of Open Data on AWS, providing researchers quick and easy access to coronavirus sequence data at no cost for use in their COVID-19 research.
Why AWS for Biomedical Research?
- Compliance and security that matter. You control where your data is stored, who can access it, and what resources your organization is consuming at any given moment. AWS regularly achieves third-party validation for thousands of global compliance requirements to help you meet security and compliance standards in healthcare, government, and beyond. AWS customers can use AWS services in a manner that supports the requirements of HIPAA, NIST, and HITRUST CSF.
- Scalable compute with containerized workflows. Eighty percent of all containers in the cloud run on AWS because of our security, reliability, and scalability. Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (Amazon EKS) runs upstream Kubernetes and is certified Kubernetes conformant so you can leverage all the benefits of open source tooling from the community.
- Various artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) capabilities for deeper scientific insights. AWS allows you to choose from TensorFlow, PyTorch, Apache MXNet, and other popular frameworks to experiment with and customize machine learning algorithms.
- Differentiating partner solutions like Illumina. AWS is the only cloud service provider with FPGA instances that DRAGEN CS can leverage for optimized performance.
- Access to tools for genomics research. With hundreds of services, AWS offers tools like Nextflow, Cromwell, GATK, DRAGEN CS, Hail, and RONIN that help researchers advance their projects
For additional information or questions, please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact.